Not that I have fond memories of the earthquakes I've experienced, but my friend Amber was recapping her experience, so here we are...
I don't recall any earthquakes before moving to Mo Val. I think I combined the Whittier (1987) and San Francisco (1989) quakes in my memory banks. I was 9 for the first and 11 for the second. Whichever one it was (probably the SFQ), I was watching TV when the picture went to static and EVERYTHING started shaking. I DO remember all the news coverage of the SF quake due in large part to the Bay Bridge collapsing and Jose Canseco rescuing fans at Candlestick Park during the World Series. (Random memory, I know). I vaguely remember having to duck and cover at school (could've been WQ).
The next quake I remember well is the Landers/Big Bear (1992). I had a friend stay the night and I barely woke up for the end of the first quake (HEAVY sleeper). My friend and family were all huddled in doorways while I'm zonked out on the bed...thanks for waking me. I think the only reason I even woke up was the blasted thing lasted so long. Fortunately for me, the Big Bear aftershock hit while I was taking a shower. Nothing says funny like a hysterical teenager who got sloshed around in the shower.
And my final big quake memory is of the Northridge quake (1994). This was by far the biggest one I'd ever felt. We were living in San Bernardino, not even a mile from where the San Andreas faultline runs. That one got me out of bed, no problem. That quake had a lot of aftershocks, but I got used to it quickly. My grandparents and aunt & uncle in Van Nuys (right next to Northridge) sustained major property damage, but thankfully that was it.
As for yesterday, I was loading the boys into the Yukon after hitting the gym. At first I thought I was lightheaded from running, but quickly realized I was wrong. I suspected an earthquake which was confirmed as soon as I started the car. The KROQ dj (in Burbank) was rambling about it and couldn't stop saying how tripped out he was. I got a chuckle out of that.
I know there have been other earthquakes in the last 14 years, but most of them have rumbled either while I was sleeping, driving, or not big enough for my richter scale to capture. Before I became a mom I slept like a rock. NOTHING could wake me up in the middle of a REM cycle. Thankfully I haven't had to endure any recent nocturnal seismic activity. Still, I'll take an earthquake any day over massive flooding, hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards, monsoons, etc. Yes, they're unpredictable and sporadic, but in this case, ignorance is bliss.
As a side note, I have to mention that we watched a special on Dateline or 20/20 about the best way to survive an earthquake. Believe it or not, they had a search & rescue guy on there who said the worst things you can do are crouch UNDER a desk/table or stand in the doorway. Those will either get you smushed or impaled (neither sound good to me). If you're stuck inside, your best bet of surviving is to crouch RIGHT NEXT TO a sturdy piece of furniture (ie: couch, table, dresser). If the roof caves in, it will flatten the furniture but leave an air pocket next to it (where you'd be). I told my mom about that and she was shocked...they're still teaching/telling kids to duck under their desks. I'll have to do more research and let you all know for sure.
This is a good reminder to make sure we have plenty of provisions for our families. Water is #1 on my list to get at Costco this week.
3 comments:
hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha
On the floor laughing and crying!! Oh my! Great blog though! love ya!
That is some new info on where you should be during an earthquake..I knew that a doorway was bad, but I caught myself doing it out of habit. Yea, I thought it was funny because I didn't freak out but on the news people said they were crying and stuff.
Glad everyone seems fine from the earthquake, I'm so happy I wasn't there for it! Your boys are so cute and getting so big! Thank you for the kind comments on our blog. We try to book stuff when we have planned trips to CA but we have driven or flown a few times just for a shoot! We love photography and we love California so it doesn't take much to get us down!
Post a Comment