So, I have tried to avoid posting anything about the current events surrounding politics, until tonight. It's not that I was trying to get out of making waves or hurting feelings, I just prefer to not get into arguments about things I can't change others' opinions about. But after our youth activity tonight at church, which was a political awareness experiment, I had a few thoughts I wanted to share. We played a simple game of memory (you remember the old game of remembering where the matching pictures were) with what should be well known political facts (Sarah Palin is = to Republican VP nominee). I'm surprised the others leaders didn't ask me to sit down and take a Valium. When the girls were having a hard time getting in to the game, I just about snapped. We weren't trying to indoctrinate them with any particular set of views, but come on! Who doesn't know what a state senator is? Or that the Republican & Democratic parties are the two major political parties in this great nation? I realize that politics isn't a passion for most Americans, but having a basic knowledge of how our political system works is a must in my opinion. Parents should be urging their children to AT LEAST learn the basics.
I don't proclaim to be an expert on the political workings of the United States (that would be left to my hubby and good friend, Wendy), but I am proud of the fact that I know enough about the process to attempt to make informed decisions. I LOVE this country and all it represents. Just like teaching our children the importance of looking both ways before crossing the street or not talking to strangers, we need to prepare them in their youth to understand their rights and responsibilities as American citizens (that they gain at the ripe old age of 18!).
1 comment:
hahaha...I can jsut picture last night. I am sorry I missed that one. THat activity was and still is a good night. Now they know...or kind of know.....lol (:
Post a Comment